You should have your teeth thoroughly examined and cleaned generally twice a year along with some x-rays to check on the status of your teeth.
Regular preventative dental examinations and cleans are useful for the early detection of issues before they become major dental issues. Your dentist will check your teeth for decay, look at the health of your gums, examine your jaw action, look for any swelling, check your bite action and review your medical history. The dentist may:
- Take x-rays to determine if there is any decay under the gum line or in between the teeth
- Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of gum disease or inflammation.
- Review current fillings, crowns or extraction sites.
- Removal any plaque which has formed below and above the gum line. (rushing can sometime miss difficult places to reach and has to be removed with special dental instruments).
- Polish the teeth to remove stains and plaque.
- Provide some oral hygiene instructions and recommends particular oral hygiene products.
A thorough dental exam and clean involves more than just checking for cavities and polishing your teeth. Our Dentists are committed to providing you with the best possible care, and they will discuss treatment options with you.